Pro Forms Honey Pot

I use turnstile and captcha on forms, but sometimes the spam bots are able to submit a form.
I would like to implement a proper honey pot with Pro Forms as an additional layer of spam identification.

Here is my current workflow:
-When a Pro Form is submitted, the data is sent to a CRM with a webhook.
-I have a text field that is hidden using CSS that bots will fill out. It is an optional field.
-If the field is populated with data, then the CRM marks it as “Spam Likely”

Is there any other workflows to add honey pot fields to Pro Forms? I am not sure if the hidden field will accept inputs from bots.

Another idea I had was to create an optional field, hide it, and then add a submit condition to stop the form submission if there is a value in the hidden field. This is currently working, but there is alot of hacky stuff going on to hide the field becuase each field gets a style attribute of display:flex and then there is some CSS to display:flex the form fields.

Thanks for the help everyone!

cheers,

John

1 Like

Hey John! I find your current approach clean enough and much better as using Submit Conditions. If this works for you, I would go exactly this way :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Daniele,

I suppose my two problems with my home grown honey pot solution are:

1. accessibility
  2. no easy way to hide form fields that are not type “hidden”

I can add a label with Pro Forms that says something like “do not fill in this field” but i don’t think i can add the other needed attributes without some JS

Honeypot

Would an accessible honey pot field maybe make its way onto the road map?

here is a link I used for reference - Add an accessible honeypot field to your PHP form - Rachele DiTullio

Maybe move this to Feature request?
I’d certainly like it as I have given up on captchas - either not gdpr or too easy or too hard to solve. All they seem to do is annoy users. They don’t even stop all the bots.
Alan

I’m also interested in a honey pot solution. Because all captcha providers are located in USA. The best way is maybe a honeypot.

Yes, this is a good idea.

Agree. Added in the next version:

4 Likes

In order to use the honeypot, does it just need to be added inside the form and thats it? I dont see any other instructions showing with it. Is there another step or to just add?

1 Like

That’s it :wink:

2 Likes

Oh wow, how easy! Great.

1 Like

Is it only in nestable pro forms integrated? Or also in the “normal” Pro forms?

Nestable Forms only :slight_smile: